Italy, the Centre of Excellence’s Framework Nation, participates with all four Services of the Armed Forces: Army, Navy, Air Force and Carabinieri, the latter as the leading Service for the Centre.
Mid 19th century – present day
|Since the mid-19th century, the Carabinieri have operated at an international level, assuming an international dimension. This by virtue of their military structure and their civil police functions, capable of immediate defensive responses in cases of emergency. The Carabinieri have been involved in numerous Italian and international peacekeeping operations, autonomously supporting the reconstruction of host nation law enforcement authorities, and participating to dedicated training programmes.
The Central Organization of the Carabinieri, the Carabinieri General Headquarters, is based in Rome, and is functional, for the Carabinieri Commander General, to manage, coordinate and control the activities of the Corps, with a particular emphasis on the analysis of criminal phenomenon, and the coordination of ongoing operations amongst its departments. The Central Organization has also responsibility over liaising with different Italian Ministries, Departments of the Public Administration and International Organizations, the latter when necessary, in cooperation with the Ministry of Interior.
The Carabinieri Commander General and the Carabinieri Chief of Staff embody the decision-making authorities for the Corps.
The territorial organization is at the core of the Carabinieri’ s activities, and is structured around the following entities:
- 5 Inter-Regional Commands, commanded by Lieutenant Generals who exercise overall control and coordination on Regional Commands called “Legions”;
- 19 Legions, commanded by Major and Brigadier Generals, which exercise overall control and coordination on the activities of subordinate Provincial Commands, to which they also ensure technical, logistic and administrative support;
- 102 Provincial Commands, commanded by Brigadier Generals, Colonels or Lieutenant Colonels, responsible for operations against organised crime, and for maintaining law and order by coordinating all Carabinieri Units in the Province;
- 13 Territorial Departmental Commands, commanded by Lieutenant Colonels, supporting Provincial Commands in their functions;
- 5 Groups and 527 Company Commands, commanded respectively by Lieutenant Colonels, Majors and Captains, equipped to provide 24/7 emergency response and tackle organised crime independently;
- 4.644 Carabinieri Stations, of which 69 commanded by First and Second Lieutenants (Tenenze), and 4.575 by Non Commissioned Officers (Stazioni), responsible for the control of their respective territories of competence, and endowed with small-scale judiciary policing functions.
Mobile and Specialized Organization
Headed by a Lieutenant General, it includes departments dedicated to military activities, crowd and riot control, and a vast array of highly specialized tasks, which are conducted either individually or in support of the territorial organization. The mobile and specialized organization consists of:
- The Mobile Units Division, located in Rome, which has the following dependent entities:
- 1st Mobile Brigade based in Rome and dedicated to public order and territorial control;
- 2nd Mobile Brigade based in Livorno, consisting of the Special Intervention Group (GIS), the Carabinieri Parachute Regiment “Tuscania”, the 7th “Trentino Alto Adige” and 13th “Friuli Venezia Giulia” Regiments based respectively in Laives (Bolzano) and Gorizia.
- The Specialized Units Division, located in Rome, consisting of highly specialized Units closely operating with other Ministries for specific needs: Carabinieri (CC) Healthcare Command, CC Environmental Command, CC Cultural Heritage Protection Command, CC Agriculture Policies Command, CC Labor Protection Command, CC Bank of Italy Command, CC Anti-Counterfeiting Command, CC Scientific Investigations Command, CC Aircraft Group, CC Special Operations Group (ROS) specialised in fighting Organised Crime and Terrorism, CC Foreign Affairs Command and the Center of Excellence for Stability Police Units.
Special tasks departments
These Departments are located within different entities, for the execution of specific tasks.
- The Corazzieri Regiment, responsible for escorting and for providing security to the President of the Italian Republic, and for guarding the Quirinale Palace, which is the President’s residence;
- Departments servicing constitutional bodies such as the Presidency of the Republic, the Parliament, the Judiciary, the Presidency of the Council of Ministers and the National Council of Economy and Labor;
- Carabinieri Departments which perform Military Police and security duties in favour of Armed Forces (Carabinieri Defence Cabinet Department, Carabinieri Chief of Staff Defence Department, Carabinieri Autonomous Group, Defence Unit Group, Carabinieri Naval Command, Carabinieri Air force Command, Sections and Units attached to the Army high Commands and Combined/Joined International Military Commands in Italy and abroad).
- Personnel attached to the offices of the military judiciary.
THE CARABINIERI FORCE HAS THE FOLLOWING RESPONSIBILITIE
- Defense of the Country, its institutions and resources in the case of a national disaster;
- Participation in military operations in Italy and abroad, Stability Policing operations abroad, and through international mandates and agreements, reconstruction of local police forces in areas where peacekeeping forces are present;
- Exclusive function of security and military police for the Armed Forces;
- Functions of judicial military police for military justice bodies;
- Security of Italian diplomatic missions, including military organisations, abroad;
- Assistance of military personnel in institutional activities in the national territory;
- Mobilization services.
- Judicial police
- Public order
- Security policing
- National civilian protection structure guaranteeing continuity of service in disaster areas and aid to the local population.