With the decree numbered 668, the Gendarmerie General Command was subordinated to the Ministry of Interior with the amendment made in the 4th article of the Law on the Organization, Duties and Powers of the Gendarmerie No. 2803.
The Gendarmerie General Command is comprised of central and provincial organizations, internal security units, Gendarmerie and Coast Guard Academy, training units, logistic support units, aviation units, and other units established according to the characteristics of the duties.
Gendarmerie General Command works on a 24/7 basis in order to ensure the safety of life and property of our citizens with a total of 3,600 units, including:
- 3,056 Internal Security Units,
- 218 Commando Units,
- 162 Penitentiary Protection Units,
- 160 Protective Security Units,
- 4 Aviation Units.
The Gendarmerie of the Turkish Republic is an armed public security and law enforcement organization, which maintains security, safety and public order and executes the duties ascribed to it by laws and Presidential decrees. The Gendarmerie General Command is subordinated to the Ministry of Interior.
The duties of the gendarmerie in their areas of responsibility are as follows.
a) Civil duties;
- to maintain safety, public security and order,
- to prevent, pursue and investigate smuggling,
- to take and implement the necessary measures to prevent crime,
- to provide external protection of penitentiaries and detention centers,
- to perform the duties, apart from the judicial and military of its kind, that are assigned by orders and decisions on the other legislation provisions.
b) Judicial duties; To carry out the procedures specified in the laws regarding the crimes and to perform the legal services related to them.
c) Military duties; To perform military services provided by laws and Presidential decrees.